Tuesday, September 07, 2004

I Guess I Don't Qualify

If this Girl's Guide to Geek Guys is anything to go by, I don't meet the requirements to call myself a "geek." I don't spend my free time discussing hardware, don't do Bill Gates impressions (and don't want to), have never worn a t-shirt with a software company's logo, find "cyberdating" a pointless exercise, don't watch Star Trek (or much of anything else, for that matter), and put aside my video game obsession around the age of 17. The term "nerd" seems to be a better fit, though again I hardly match the stereotypical image of a socially-awkward guy with thick black glasses and a pocket protector.

PS: I just wondered - can't a great deal of the appeal of Spiderman 2 be explained by its appeal to the teenage fantasies of nerds everywhere? Actually, it seems rather obvious that it must be so: which socially isolated bright young man hasn't daydreamed at some point in his life of getting the upper hand on the beauty queens and popular athletes someday? The movie certainly works as a love story in its own right - even more so than as an action adventure - but the added backdrop of the old "ugly-duckling" tale definitely adds a certain frisson.