Saturday, July 03, 2004

Why is Messianic "Judaism" so Irritating?

Being the hard-headed materialist sort that I am, I'm not a fan of religiosity in any form, but for some reason I can't really put my finger on, one particular strain of religion has always grated particularly on my nerves - not a variant of Islam, but Messianic Christianity Judaism. Given my own background, one would think that I'd be inclined to look more kindly on this dressing of Christianity in Jewish garb more kindly, but I just can't bring myself to do so. Although Christianity is itself an offshoot of Judaism, there's something about the Messianists, some especially mendacious quality about the way they present themselves, that irritates me to no end.

Thinking more carefully about the whole issue, I suppose what really gets to me about the adherents of Messianic Christianity Judaism is the feeling that they're trying to accomplish the age-old Christian aim of converting Jews by pretending to be something other than they are, and that if they could be certain tomorrow that every last Jewish person on Earth had abandoned his or her faith for what they're peddling, they'd drop all the talk of "Yeshua" for plain old Jesus quicker than you can say "Hail Mary." Religion in general is a fraud, but in most cases those who suffer from it seem to be sincere dupes; Messianic Christianity Judaism, on the other hand, is a pre-meditated and well-thought out attempt at deceit in the service of supposedly "higher" motives.

*I'd replaced all previous references to "Messianic Christianity" since this was originally written, as "Messianic Judiasm" is the false flag under which these Christian missionary groups usually sail.