Saturday, April 10, 2004

BBC - Bergman 'Depressed' by Own Films

Well. he's not alone in that respect. I find his films misery-inducing too!

Legendary Swedish movie director Ingmar Bergman, known for his gloomy works, has admitted he cannot watch his films because they make him depressed.

"I don't watch my own films very often. I become so jittery and ready to cry... and miserable. I think it's awful," he said in a rare interview on Swedish TV.

Bergman, 85, is considered one of the most influential directors in history.

His 60-year career has spanned intense classics like Cries & Whispers, The Seventh Seal and Wild Strawberries.

He has been nominated for nine Oscars - including three for best director - but never won.

I hate to sound like a philistine, but I find European "auteurs" like Bergman to be highly overrated in the main. Just because a film comes with subtitles doesn't automatically give it depth or anything to hold the interest. There's a damned good reason why America dominates the movie business, and it goes beyond mere advantages of scale - Hollywood generally makes better movies! An outrageous statement, I know, but anyone thinking of countering it by mentioning the low-brow, formulaic dreck churned out by the American movie industry also has to face the fact that an even greater proportion of the output of the heavily-subsidised European movie business is also bottom-drawer stuff, so bad that even Europeans themselves aren't interested in it. At least "2 Fast, 2 Furious" has no annoying pretentions to high-art status.