Monday, March 29, 2004

The Golden Rule - In Hebrew

My apologies to those who follow the link above only to see the name of a certain heretical former resident of Nazareth mentioned on the page linked to, but I simply haven't been able to find a Hebrew-to-English translation of the passage below anywhere else.

שוב מעשה בנכרי אחד
שבא לפני שמאי
אמר לו: גיירני על מנת
שתלמדני כל התורה כולה
כשאני עומד על רגל אחת.י
דחפו באמת הבנין שבידו.
בא לפני הלל
גייריה.י
אמר לו דעלך סני
לחברך לא תעביד
זו היא כל התורה כולה
ואידך - פירושה הוא.י
זיל גמור!י

"Why is this here?" you ask me, and I'll respond that there are two reasons for it, neither of which has anything to do with any religious belief on my part. The first is that it's interesting to state what is the forerunner of the Kantian rule that is the credo of those who are opposed to utilitarianism (as am I, for the most part, though far less so than some), given the recent debate I've been participating in below about the pros and cons of male circumcision. The second is that I'm a language-nut who likes learning new languages for the sake of it, and right now I'm trying to get my Hebrew up to scratch. That's reason enough, isn't it?