Saturday, February 21, 2004

Who Would You Vote for in South Africa?

I just came across this interesting quiz, based on the party platforms as of 1999. Let's just say that my results weren't quite what I was expecting them to be.

For better or worse, your replies indicate that your heart lies with the Inkatha Freedom Party (IFP) .

Apart from the Inkatha Freedom Party (IFP), you would also consider casting your ballot for the Democratic Party (DP) , or even the New National Party (NNP) .

You are least likely to vote for the African National Congress (ANC).

Me, an Inkatha supporter? Only if that is identical to being for decentralized government with decision-making occurring at the lowest possible level, being in favor of labor deregulation and more rapid privatization, being against the requirement that citizens carry "papieren, bitte!", and thinking that sports teams should pick players on grounds of merit alone, rather than to ensure that "teams are representative of the make-up of the nation."

Of course, there is more to politics than platforms, and I simply can't stand Mangosuthu Buthelezi, whose deeply dishonorable past I am unable to put aside; faced with a choice between Inkatha and the ANC, I'd pick the latter anyday, even though there isn't all that much about the ANC platform I'm enthusiastic about. What is true of Inkatha even more true of the "New" National Party, which I would sooner die than vote for. No, if I were a South African, the Democratic Alliance would likely be my first choice.