Wednesday, November 05, 2003

The Political Compass

Via Matthew Yglesias. According to the results of the test, my score was as follows:

Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: 4.62
Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.38

I would have thought it'd be pretty difficult for any sensible person to be much to my right on the economic axis, but going by Tim Lambert's visual chart, it seems I was wrong. What I find most amusing about the results on the chart is that despite being one of those nasty right-wingers Matthew Yglesias' fellow party members love to hate, I am actually quite a bit more "liberal" in my social views than he is! Or, to put things slightly differently, Yglesias has an authoritarian streak to him that I seem to be lacking. The question then arises; if Matthew is neither particularly "liberal" in his social or economic views, why is he so partisan a Democrat?